With the increase in technology, usage of smartphones and laptops (desktops) are also increasing. You may store various notes in the form of pdf files, ms word documents, .txt files, youtube URL’s, http links etc. Most of the times you may face a problem in the aspect of proper organising and storage of the documents. All you need is an application which can run on your smart phone and the laptop (desktop) that could store all your notebooks. The major requirement is that it should allow you to access from anywhere and any device. It means data should be automatically synced. This purpose can be served by the Evernote.
What is Evernote? – and its benefits for the productivity.
Evernote is a cross-platform, freemium app (available both in the free version and premium version) designed for note taking, organising, and archiving. In the span of 5 years, it has grown from a simple note-taking application to a reliable tool that connects with many other productivity apps. The app allows users to create a “note”. A note can be a piece of formatted text, a full webpage, a photograph, a voice memo, or a handwritten “ink” note. Files can also be attached to the notes. Notebooks can be added to a stack while notes can be sorted into a notebook, tagged, annotated, edited, given comments, searched, and exported as part of a notebook. Evernote supports a number of operating system platforms (including OS X, iOS, Chrome OS, Android, Microsoft Windows,Windows Phone, BlackBerry 10, andwebOS) and also offers online synchronization and backup services. With the Evernote Business, you can even work without the Internet. Here are the details of some of the tips and tricks which could improve the productivity. These simple tips will help you to become a master Evernote user from a beginner.
#1. Quick Start
The best way to start using Evernote effectively is to start creating notes. A note is just what it sounds like – any piece of information you want to save for later. Here are the 3 simple steps to start creating a note.
- Create a Note
- Add some content
- Find notes on your phone and computer
#2. Take Notes
There are many ways to take notes
- Create a text note
- Add other types of content to a note
- Customize styles and layouts
#3. Organize with note books
Notebooks are collections of notes. Every note you create is saved to a notebook. You can create additional notebooks to organize your notes around the topics that matter to you and your team. Also you can add one kind of notebooks into a stack.
You can also organize with tags. Tags let you add keywords to notes, making them easier to find and browse when you’ve got a lot of them.
#4. Find what you need
In the Evernote, you can easily search contents of notes, notebooks, tags, and attachments. You can search for notes and notebooks by Keywords or tags, Contact info in business cards, Handwritten or typed text in photos, Text in attached documents and PDFs,Notebooks other colleagues have shared etc.
#5. Share notes
With the Evernote, it is easy to share notes such as meeting agendas, design ideas clipped from the web, travel itineraries, reports, or project task lists with others. There are different ways to share notes
Here are a few ways to share notes with others:
- Copy and paste a public link (URL) to a note
- Use Work Chat
- Email a note
You can also share your notebooks in the similar way
#4. Additional Features
- Create checklists-allows you to to create To-do list, Reading list, Packing list etc.
- Annotate your notes-Evernote provides you with all the tools you need to visually communicate ideas, share feedback, and collaborate with friends and co-workers. Easily annotate images and PDFs with lines, shapes, arrows, and more.
- Create reminders-Reminders are a great way to keep track of notes that contain time-sensitive information or notes that you need in order to accomplish tasks. Set a reminder for any note by opening the note and clicking or tapping the reminder button.
Connecting it with apps like Nozbe and Swipes will be an added advantage to get the things done.
- Penultimate paper options– Penultimate ships with several options for “papers” (page backgrounds that resemble real-life paper styles): plain paper, graph paper and lined paper are all included by default when you install Penultimate. For more paper options to choose from, tap the paper button (lined paper) to display the paper options bar, then tap the ‘Basic‘ collection or ‘Get More‘ to browse additional collections for sale via in-app purchase.
- Save emails directly into Evernote-Forward digital receipts, travel reservations, or weekly electronic newsletters directly to your Evernote account. Apps like CloudMagic Email and Boxer provide additional benefits in sending emails to Evernote.
- Scan Business cards-Use the ScanSnap Evernote Edition scanner to capture photos of business cards, extract and save contact details from the card into Evernote, and match with LinkedIn profiles. This scanner also scans and automatically saves receipts and other documents into designated notebooks.
- Evernote helper– The Evernote Helper lets you create a note at any time, no matter what you’re doing on your computer, by clicking the elephant in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
#6. Evernote web clipper
Evernote Web Clipper is a simple extension for your web browser that lets you capture full-page articles, images, selected text, important emails, and any web page that inspires you. Once saved, contents can be annotated, edited, and shared with others. This extension is available for browsers like chrome, firefox, and opera
#7. Stay Secured
Secure your account:
Evernote provides the better security for the account by allowing you to enable the additional layer of security. Evernote offers both Evernote Web Clipper as well as passcode and Touch ID for device-level security. While doing so does not encrypt your notes, it does make it much harder to access your content if your device is lost or stolen.
Secure your content:
You can secure your confidential notes like back account info, passwords, important documents etc. by simplyEvernote Web Clipper. Evernote allows you to set a password for opening a note.
#8. Work offline with Evernote Business
Evernote Business is designed to give you and your team easy access to all your content. You can create and edit your notes even in the absence of Internet connection. As soon as you have the Internet, all your updates will sync and will show up on your other devices.
#9. Backup your Evernote
Evernote allows you to backup your data. All your data will be saved as .enex file on your hard disk by a simple click on Export your notes in the File.
Save yourself time and the risk of forgetting by automating tasks with Zapier or IF by IFTTT. They both integrate nicely with Evernote to provide you features for making your life and your work easier. With Zapier, you can automate workflows between apps easily by choosing a trigger and action. If you are an IF by IFTTT user, you can use several “recipes” to automate anything from simple to complicated tasks. Share documents that automate notes, sync your content and even archive data.
Start using Evernote. It’s advantages increases with increase in your usage. Do bookmark this page and we will be sharing more posts about Evernote.